Friday, November 3, 2017

A Case for the Backwards and Upside-down Upper Case Letters

It was said that Leonardo Da Vinci often wrote backwards.  I remember doing the "writing backwards" exercise when I was in college because I saw someone doing it and it looked like fun to me anyway.  The other day, I came across an article with a lesson on drawing your name backwards and upside-down.  Hmmm...deja vu?

"Why not write the alphabet in upper-case and in lower-case letters, backwards and upside-down?" I thought.

So I did.  Writing the lower-case letters "b,d,f,g,h,p,qbackwards and upside-down presented me with some difficulty in where to orient the "post or leg" of the letter - left or right, up or down?  After a few missed attempts, I eventually learned where to correctly place it. 

But something brilliant came about in writing the upper-case letters of the alphabet. Who knew that the letters "I,O,S,X,Z" are already written backwards AND upside-down?  Try it for yourself and see.

Note: As a result of this learning, I will use the letters "XZOIS" for a handle.  Sounds like "choice", don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment