Monday, April 29, 2019

A day at the Opera

It has been ages since I viewed a show at the Metropolitan Opera so when a chance presented itself to a Saturday matinee show, I took it.  Well, it was an opera by Wagner and I'm not an opera fan but I was in for the experience. 

I sketched the interior hall before Act I started.  Sat next to a young fella to my left who I think has a bad case of halitosis.  Sigh...  Twenty minutes into the program and I was restless in my seat while the rest of the audience was stone still and fully absorbed into the program.  There was a moment I started caressing my two day old stubble not knowing it was creating a noise.  "Hush!" the fellow to my left said after tapping my armrest and signaling me to stop just that.  I froze to my seat.  My goodness!  How serious can this be?   Thoughts of leaving after Act I crossed my mind. 

Well, I eventually warmed up to the show and saw it to the end.  Truthfully, it was very easy to fall asleep in the dimly lit theater even with the operatic singing.  I may have missed a few but the subtitle was the savior for I would be so lost in this whole experience without it.   I'm not sure if I'm ready for another opera show anytime soon.





3 comments:

  1. It is good to be able to catch up on blogs. I am not an opera fan either and have an opera singer in my family. lol I do like the sketch of the interior of the hall. Nicely done! I had to chuckle at the noise rubbing your beard was making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Joan. On the phone with my son last weekend, he thought it was funny and I should include it in my story. Glad I listened to him. LOL.

      Delete
    2. It's that personal touch. lol (I couldn't resist.)

      Delete