Sunday, August 7, 2022

The Harbor Island Park

A family member wanted a sailboat-themed sketch so I went to the nearest harbor (Harbor Island Park, Mamaroneck, NY) to get some ideas.  On the first try, I messed up the sketch of a passing boat that would have been perfect for the foreground scene.  Still, I carried on with the sketch to get a feel for the scene.  It was a teaching moment.  Two weeks later, I came back to that same spot to sketch the left and right side of the view.  A sailboat was passing by at the right moment so I took a photo and later inserted that as the main sailboat sketch.  This is, by far, my largest pen and ink sketch to date (18" x 12").


2 comments:

  1. This really came out so nice! I hope your family member loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. Yes, she does! I'm thinking Sophie would be reminded of New England when she looks at this.

      Delete