Thursday, January 13, 2022

The Food Concourse at GCT

Done in the last three evenings. Spent a short sketching time (10-15 minutes) inside the Grand Central Terminal before catching my train ride home. I was looking for a fresh vantage point to sketch so that led me to the East Wing stairs leading down to the Food Concourse.
A few minutes into my sketching and an MTA services guy noticed me on the stairs. I agree that I was standing at a blind spot. He nicely asked me to get off the stairs.
Me: "I'm just sketching this scene."
Him: "I admire the artistry but you have to come off the stairs. Sir, you have to come off the stairs though."
That made me come down a few steps short of the landing but it wasn't enough for him. Now he asked me to come over to his side ( bottom right corner) of this sketch scene.
While pointing to the direction of the column that he thought I was keenly interested in sketching, he asked.
Him: "Can you get it from this angle?, I think you can."
Me: "Ok, I know but it's a different angle."
Him: "I really think you can."

Suffice it to say, I had to catch my 6:39pm train that Monday evening, so I left our conversation with that excuse. Which led me thinking that I can spend a minute or two on that same spot next time, then leave, without attracting so much attention. So that was what I did the following two evenings to complete this sketch.



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes arguing gets you nowhere. Some people are sticklers for the rules, even if you present things to them logically. You had a good idea to go back. Love the perspective on the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arguing zaps my energy so I stay away from it. I thought it's time to change up my daily commute sketch and use something else than what's inside the car. Thanks, Joan, for visiting.

      Delete