Monday, September 19, 2022

A Full Circle

The pivot to my drawing hobby began in 2015 when I had to sketch the altar of the El Escorial Palace Basilica out of necessity.  See my first blog entry.  On this most recent visit, with my son and daughter (their first trip to Spain), I had to take them on a day trip to this beautiful Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial.

It was more or less a couple of hours by train travel to get there from where we were staying at outside of Madrid.  It was a warm day but a great time to walk from the El Escorial station to the Palace.  Good that we rented the digital self-guided tour on a tablet for we learned a lot more of the history of this magnificent place.  The self-guided tour was broken down to each section of the palace.  When it was time to see the basilica, I parked myself at the same pew I recall from 6 years ago and told my children I needed at least 10 minutes for myself to sketch the altar.  Well, maybe it was 15 minutes.  

As was before, no pictures allowed inside the basilica, but some others still get admonished for breaking the rule.  Here's a quick sketch comparison of the BEFORE (2015) and AFTER (2022) sketches.  Where I used a pencil in 2015, I now use a ballpoint pen and not minding the errors made in the process.  In the 2022 version, I included a figure for scale.  That was Aaron on the lower left looking up the ceiling.  I'm very happy to circle back to this sketch and see the progress I've made on my sketch journey.  All the more special was the time my children and I spent inside and outside of this magnificent place. 





2 comments:

  1. That's quite an improvement and the use of the ballpoint pen now shows how much more confident you are. I'm glad you returned to sketch it again and share this wonderful location with your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a wonderful experience all around. I had planned on visiting this place last April but it didn't work out. It's even better that it happened on this most recent visit.

      Delete