Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Rubin Museum of Art

When I learned about the NYC USk going to the Rubin Museum of Art last weekend, I had to go, for it may very well be the last of our group outing there (a first for me) before the museum closes it doors in October and goes globally virtual only.  A docent and an urban sketcher friend, Judy Garza, gave us a special private group tour which was really nice.  

Two sketchers among the many who were gathered at this sculpture by Tsherin Sherpa.

In another gallery on the same floor, I found this sculpture, "Durga Killing the Buffalo Demon", of Nepalese origin.  I have never sketched so many hands at one time but I just did a suggestion of hands more than actually doing all in fine details.


The last sketch I did was of Ganesha at the main floor as three urban sketcher friends were sketching the same subject.  It was a fun and productive day for me.  Unfortunately, I had to leave the show & tell portion much earlier than usual as I had other engagements to fulfill that day in the city.






2 comments:

  1. You got a lot done there...and all with a lot of detail! I couldn't get myself to go into the city in Saturday's heat. I know the museum would be cool, but the travel back and forth required too much energy. I went out very early to sketch in my mobile studio with the AC running and then spent the day in the pool instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you made the right choice, Joan. It was just too hot in the city!

      Delete