Sunday, February 3, 2019

Reflections

It was great assisting Danna, our leader of the Orange Team, at yesterday's very well attended Portrait Party event.  We made a great team and happy to finish first in completing the 11 portraits at 10 minutes each.  It was exhilaratingly fun, mentally exhausting, yet very satisfying to the soul.  So glad to have participated in it.

Here are some observations that merit a reflection:

1.  It's good to show up and be counted.  Remember that under any circumstances you did your best in under ten minutes eleven times over!

The hardest part is making a decision to become a participant.  There is always a beginning and an end to a wonderful learning experience.

2.  The first one is always difficult no matter how prepared you think you are.  Just go with the flow.

I thought I came up with a solid plan having practiced using a big fat marker to darken the background.  Except that I haven't practiced it on a cold pressed watercolor paper, only on a smoother surface.  Naturally, I was taken aback when this happened on the first portrait.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  At that moment, I reminded myself not to worry as I've got another ten portraits to make do it better.

3.  It is a liberating feeling to let go and not be attached to any portrait work.  It makes you feel better each time you start anew. 

At the end of the Portrait Party event, I let go of the two best ones I thought I did for the day.  It was good that the persons I sketched happily accepted what I shared with them.  And I came away happy as a result.


No comments:

Post a Comment