Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sad News Today

It was a sad day. 

There was a short gap of about three and a half hours since Mom texted me last on this Sunday morning.  "Mel, I think it's final battle of Tatay.  Let's just pray for his peaceful farewell.",  the message read on my phone screen.  At four minutes before nine o'clock New York time, I received this other short message from Mom.  "He is gone now." the message says.  That was 2:56PM Madrid time.

A few minutes later, I was on the phone trying to grieve with my sobbing mother.  We consoled each other before I talked with my other brother, Jon, who was with her during the last few hours short of Dad's passing. 

The hospice care my father received at home lasted a couple of months until last Friday when he had to be sent to the biggest hospital in Madrid to take care of his excruciating pain.  Pain as a result of other cancer cell growth that has occurred since his partial lobectomy a little over two years ago.

I was lucky to have visited my parents in each of the last two years post surgery.  Dad and I both enjoyed our morning walks and conversation as he recounted the stories I know I've heard numerous times before.  Last summer, I noticed his diminished energy and stamina.  We still managed to complete our morning walk except it took much longer to complete due to more necessary rest stop.

My last conversation with him was yesterday morning.  It was very confusing and unclear what he was trying to say to me.  I'm thinking how much more confusing and difficult it was for him, too.

As my full day of activity in the city went undisturbed yesterday, I was unaware of what was happening with him.  Only on my train ride back home did I saw the fifteen unread messages on my phone.  He was at the hospice care since Friday afternoon, had taken very little lunch Saturday, was taken off IV dextrose, and given just the pain medication until he passed away Sunday afternoon. 

It was good that my other brother, Russell, and I visited late last year and assisted the family in taking care of our father when he was hospitalized.  We thought it was time.  Glad that we did what we did at the time because Dad was able to recover and stayed comfortable at home until last Friday.

The long wait has come.  His journey has ended.  May he rest in peace. 

1 comment: