Saturday, February 16, 2019

Sancai Glazed Pottery

There are two current exhibits at the Bruce MuseumMasterpieces from the Museum of Cartoon Art and Buried Treasures of the Silk Road that I wanted to see.  Friday afternoon was my chance to see the wonderful cartoon drawings.  It struck me that the "WhiteOut" liquid was used on some of these art work to make a correction.  It's delightful to see the collection of work of famous artists who have syndicated cartoons on newspaper dailies at one time.

The other exhibit feature some camel pottery.  I was drawn to this one, Bactrian Caravan Camel, Tang Dynasty, just because it was conveniently displayed next to a bench.  The room lighting was subdued so I had to make do with my Bic 4 color pen.  They have a nice and friendly staff in this museum.  As I went about my sketching, one of the guards recognized me from the Westchester Urban Sketchers outing here over a month ago.  He even offered me a clipboard, just like the last time.  I forgot to ask for his name but on my way out, we met and showed him my sketch.  I gladly  accepted when he asked my permission for a picture of it.  He said he'll show it to the people upstairs ( I guess the office). 





2 comments:

  1. I like your shading with the different inks on the camel. It reminds me a little of the way the magic pencils look. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. The Bic 4 color ballpoint pen is versatile to get the mixed color effect.

      Delete