Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Sketch Location: DUMBO

DUMBO is an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.  We were there this past weekend to sketch a scenic view of the Manhattan Bridge from Front Street.  You can even see the Empire State Building framed by the bridge's pillar arch.  It's a famous and popular sport for pictorials thus many tourists and onlookers.

In the afternoon, I sat among the many tourists taking a rest on the rows of benches nearby the East River.  There was a fantastic view of Jane's Carousel, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the skyline of Lower Manhattan in the background.  I have new fountain pen with a non-permanent blue black ink cartridge that I used for sketching.  Not exactly the fine nib I want but it was okay to use for sketching.  A little too wet and make a broader line for my preference.  In the end, I used a water brush to make instant shading from the water soluble ink.  Mixed with Burnt Sienna, it was just fine for a minimalist sketching setup.  I think it worked well for this scene.


  
  

2 comments:

  1. Both of these are such great sketches. That is such a great location. Couldn't do two days In a row away from Jerry for the day...especially since we were celebrating an anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the Dumbo is a great location. So many other interesting subjects to sketch aside from these two. There was even a Sunday Flea Market going on right under the bridge that day. Glad to see your terrific Saturday workshop results. Love those vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete