Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Portraiture Practice

In two weeks time, the NYC USk group will have the Portrait Party event.  Not exactly Urban Sketching but it's a popular event each year.  To prepare for this one, I watched the cable news talk show looking for subjects to practice portrait sketching.  First I sketched in pencil to get the outline of the eyes and then branch out from there.  Then I retraced the eyes with a fountain pen and water soluble ink.  Next, I added the dark background, grey shading, skin color, and some white Jelly Roll ink hoping that I would finish a portrait in 10 minutes or less.  I didn't time myself but this is my strategy to go bold this year!  Paper Size is 8.5 x 11.0 inches legal paper.


Fictitious name and just a practice sketch.




2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were going to take part. I did a bit of practice too. I'm doing faces from photos...setting my timer, sketching in pencil to get the features placed, then Tombow marker and then adding watercolor. Not enough time to worry about the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm participating and a co-leader just like you. I saw your practice sketch and the strategy. Should be fun! Thanks for visiting, Joan.

      Delete