Sunday, March 5, 2023

A day in the city on a Saturday

We had a busy day!  Anne and I planned on having a brunch before catching the Edward Hopper's New York exhibit at the Whitney Museum.
  
Took the Downtown Red Line #1 to Christopher St. Station from 42nd St Times Square.  A guy was apparently watching me sketch.  "Nicely done. I was watching you. Very nice!" he said with a smile before exiting the train at a station before ours.  



At the Buvette restaurant in the Village, there was no wait line for outside seating.  Started a sketch but I didn't finish in time. 


Then we walked over to the ad hoc collective coffee shop on Christopher Street where I spotted a little corner to sketch.  I like this basement coffee place!



The Hopper exhibit was amazing!  Settled on a bench in front of this Macomb's Dam Bridge, 1935 oil on canvas painting.  A handholding couple in front of this painting caught my interest and that was where I started this drawing.





In another room, I just people-watched and sketched them in preparation for the upcoming One week, 100 people sketch challenge this week.



Soon we found a quiet place and a comfy sofa facing the Hudson River view.  A young family of three was a perfect capture of this scene.



We explored more of the upper level exhibit areas including the outdoor balcony on where some big sculptures are installed.  I didn't finish this sketch but there was enough info to capture a visual entry on my sketchbook.



To cap off the day, we met with Lauren and Aaron for dinner at the Flex Mussels restaurant on 13th Street.
Got there early so I had time to sketch this scene outside of the restaurant, looking West toward 7th Avenue. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! You did a lot of sketches in one day. These are great!! I thought about going in to see the exhibit because I knew it was ending, but I couldn't motivate myself to go into the city. I must be getting old. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sketched several entries on this A6 sketchbook yesterday. It's my new fave sketch material because of the size and portability. The museum was packed precisely because the exhibit was ending. Today, I felt so exhausted after doing all the things we did in the city yesterday. I must be getting old. Thanks for stopping by, Joan.

      Delete