Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Blue Whale at the AMNH

Last weekend's sketch-meet was at the American Museum of Natural History.  It's one of the interesting museums to visit in the city.  At first, I parked myself in the North American Mammals Exhibit but it was too dark to work there on my blue tint pre-marked page.  Soon, I found my way to the Ocean Life Exhibit where I tried sketching the Blue Whale hanging from the ceiling until it was lunch break with the group at the food hall.  Later, I came back to the same spot in the hall and continued working on the sketch with a Posca white brush pen that was running out of ink.  I kept pumping the pen for more ink flow to the brush but it was slow and semi-dry.  However, I managed to lay down some ink on where it matters most on the paper.  One pump too many and it dripped a blob on the paper.  Luckily, it landed at where I wanted it to happen.  That became the alcove on the far right side.  A happy accident!  



2 comments:

  1. I really like the textural effect the drying Posca marker gave you. I still think it looks like the whale was printed. Great look to this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan! It's inspiring to see what came out of it despite the tool's limitation and challenges. It does look like a print, isn't it?

      Delete