Tuesday, May 8, 2018

NYC5Boro Bike Tour Sketches and Photos

The 6:13AM weekend train to the Grand Central Terminal was running 5-10 minutes late which was okay.   Only needed one subway ride, the #4 downtown train to get to Wall Street station for my first ever NYC Five Boro Bike Tour

Ready to go!

I left the start gate at around 8:47am along with the third wave of bike riders in yellow color bib and bike tag. Mine was tag# 21111.  
8:45am couldn't come soon enough.

Hundreds of bikers looking North of Church Street.
Borough of Manhattan. 

At 23rd Street, I made a maintenance check to pump air for my front tire.  At
a rest stop near West 116th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, I took some time to sketch the riders taking a break (around 10:00am).  

Time stamp says 10:11am.



In the Bronx, once we crossed the Madison Bridge, I made a quick sketch of the scene.  
Time stamp says 10:49am.



Another sketch done on the ramp to the Queensboro bridge.  

 Time stamp says 12:02pm.

On to the Borough of Queens!
Too bad, I didn't record the time on those sketches.  At around 1:51PM, I finished sketching the iconic Manhattan Bridge in Brooklyn.   


Mile 26 in the Borough of Brooklyn!

Time stamp says 2:04pm. 

I crossed the festival finish line at Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island around 3:10PM.  Got my medal!  Sweet!  




Lots of food vendors on site.  I wanted the pulled pork sandwich but they already ran out of buns.  Still, I got the pulled pork alone.  Managed to sketch the finish festival site around 4:11PM.  



It took another five miles to reach the official 40 mile marker near the ferry station.  

I think we were the last batch of bikers to catch the Staten Island Ferry ride back to Manhattan.  


On this short ferry ride back, I sketched my trusty Brompton bike.  It was 5:35PM.  


On the #5 UPTOWN train to Grand Central Station.

What an epic adventure on my Brompton bike - all five boroughs of New York in one day . I LOVE IT! 

Cheese Ravioli Pasta to cap the day!

4 comments:

  1. Mel, i did this 35 years ago. Left west 93rd street and returned there by bike as well so I threw in a few more miles. What did i learn? At the time i was swimming a couple of miles a day, 5 days a week. Swimming is badically an upperbody sport. Riddi g the bridge at the end reminded me that while i was i greatshape, the flutter kick was not going to cut it. I cried in pain the last mile but I knew if i got off I would not get back on. Walking was not that much fun either. But i made it! And, I was proud of myself. The following year a friend asked if I was going to dp it again, I replied that I already proved I could do it, no need to do it again. Lol. The drawings broight back great memories for me. Thanx so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzala, for sharing your own experience. That steady climb on Verrazano was a killer, wasn't it? I figured while my knees still can, I should do something like this. Glad I did and had a fun, safe ride. Who knows, maybe I'll consider doing it again in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Great sketches! Looks like it was a lot of fun, despite the Verrazano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It was a fun experience.

      Delete