Sunday, March 17, 2024

A Vacation in Scotland: Part III: Day 2

All day Friday I spent it at the Edinburgh Castle.  Arrived at the entrance gates around 10:00 am.  First thing I did was to show my pre-purchased ticket online and they just scanned the ticket barcode to let me in.  It was a cold windy day so anything to get out of the open air was a welcome relief.  Lots of different areas to explore until I settled on a spot to sketch the "Mons Meg" siege cannon near the St. Margaret's Chapel.  It was a good strategy to hang around there to have a nice view of the One o' clock cannon firing.  

I got some quick sketches done in areas where no photography was allowed.  When I did the Crown Jewels of Scotland (Crown, Scepter, Sword and Stone) visit in one of the buildings, I was asked what I was doing and what I was using and even checked the annotated notes on my sketchbook before I exited that room.

At the bridge entrance to the Castle. 


The St. Margaret's Chapel and the Mons Meg.

A sample Armour

Interesting buildings inside the Castle grounds.

Waiting for the One o'clock Cannon firing.


The Mons Meg Cannon.

  

2 comments:

  1. What great, and unusual sketching opportunities! How fun to be sketching in an actual castle. As always, you have done some impressive sketching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. Even one day is not enough to capture the beauty you'll find in this historical castle. Am grateful to have done it.

      Delete