Monday, March 25, 2024

A Vacation in Scotland: Part IV: Day 3

I had a late start getting out of the hotel but I made it to Ocean Terminal, by tram, where the HMS Brittania Museum is docked.  Got to do a commuter sketch in Edinburgh!



First page sketch on this new sketchbook was on the bridge.  I must have spent a leisurely time doing so that I forgot there were other sections of the ship to see.  Note: I chose to use my phone and internet connection to listen to the tour audio guide but my connection was so bad, I had to ditch the effort.  Instead I just walked through the whole tour in a hurry.  In hindsight, I should have taken their audio unit instead.

On the return trip back to the Center, I got off at St. Andrew Square, walked into the park with the light drizzle falling.  Found a Costa Coffee shop and went inside asking the two ladies behind the counter if okay to stay in one corner as I sketched the scene.  They were nice about it.


I walked back to the tram station and saw an interesting building across the street.  I had to sketch it!  It was the Royal Bank of Scotland building.


From here, I walked toward the concert venue before it start at 6:00pm.  It must have been an easy 30-40 minute walk.  It was a Candlelight concert with a quartet on strings playing a tribute to Coldplay songs.  Of course, I made some sketches before and during the performance.  No photos or videos allowed but I saw several people do it anyway.  Me, I was happy with my sketches.  In fact after the program, I got a nice complement from the lady that sat next to me.  She said she also draws.


After the concert, I walked about 30-40 minutes finding a suggested restaurant in another neighborhood but I ended up going inside Henderson's, an upscale vegetarian restaurant.  Well, I did enjoy the main dish and the time I sketched while they prepared my food.  After dinner, I showed this sketch to the lady at the desk and was delighted to see it.  She also asked permission to take a photo of it.


On the walk back to the hotel, I saw this interesting restaurant.  I had to take a picture of it because an Urban Sketcher friend of mine in the West Coast share the same name.  I eventually emailed her the photo, much to her surprise.

Lastly, a couple of blocks away from the hotel, there were two red telephone booths that I had to sketch.  In the background was the John Knox House, Moubray House, and the Scottish Storytelling Center.  It was getting late and some few passersby had to stop and look at what I was doing.  A full day of sketching but I really enjoyed all the sketches I did on that day.


 


 

2 comments:

  1. You had a very full day 3 of sketching! So many things to see and capture. I love the one of the Bank of England and the one from the restaurant especially...and the telephone booths too. lol Tina must have loved the photo of that restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I packed a lot of activity on this day and still made it memorable with all the experiences I made for myself. Yes, Tina loved that photo I sent her.

      Delete