Sunday, September 30, 2018

Hopkins Vineyard

Two overlapping Urban Sketchers outings yesterday - one at the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn and the other at Pierson Park in Tarrytown, NY but neither I could attend. Instead, Anne and I drove up to the Hopkins Vineyard in New Preston, CT.  We loved our visit there last summer and we thought a fall season visit would be perfect and even better.

Hopkins Vineyard is one of the 26 wineries and vineyards on the Connecticut Wine Trail.  An afternoon live music was underway.  We found a nice outdoor picnic table by the barn to enjoy the cool weather, the beautiful scenery, the late afternoon sun, and the live music.  I tried to capture this experience in direct watercolor and added some lines later in a sketch.

Before we left the winery, I approached this guy who I thought has a connection to this vineyard.  We crossed paths earlier so I nicely asked if I can show him my sketch.  He loved it!  Even offered to buy it on the spot!  Jorge, I would later learn, is a superb master mason and did all the stonework at this vineyard place.  Not knowing how to price my work or what to do, Jorge and I finally settled on a barter trade.  He came out of the wine shop with two nice bottles of wine in exchange for my sketch.  Cheers to George and the Hopkins Vineyard!  See the links provided if interested.






2 comments:

  1. Good sketch of the winery. Sounds like a good barter as long as the wine is as good as the sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Joan! It was good wine. We always enjoy the Sachem Picnic bottle more so than the Westwind.

      Delete