Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Payloader

Yesterday, I saw a payloader fit for a sketch just behind a small shopping center in Port Chester, NY.   To get the proportions right and to correctly place it on my sketchbook page,  I sight-measured the height of the rear wheel as the base measurement.  From there I was able to determine the total length and the height of this heavy equipment.  I first used a pencil before switching to the fine liner with the intention of doing a cross hatch drawing on this 80 gsm paper.  In the end, I couldn’t resist using watercolor and white gouache.  Once the washes dried, I used a black and brown colored pencil to highlight certain areas on the now buckled paper.

P.S.  I can’t believe I forgot to turn off the head lights while doing this sketch in my car!  Car battery juice ran out.  Fortunately, a free jump start is covered in my car insurance package.  Got to be very mindful of this in the future.


Pencil sketch, about 35-40 minutes

Adding fine liner ink
Adding watercolor and gouache while waiting for the car roadside assistance.

The payloader equipment.

2 comments:

  1. And you didn't sketch the truck that came to jump-start your battery? lol Nice sketch of this payload. You make it look more interesting than real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Joan. No, I didn’t because the guy came not in a truck but in an older car. However, he got a 1200-peak amp jump starter. Most of those little details were added while waiting for the jump start service. Thanks for looking 😊

      Delete