Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Figure Sketching an Edo Period Japanese Model

Last Sunday was my second time doing a Dr. Sketchy's themed event, "Floating World", at the Flute Champagne Bar in New York city.  Figure sketching isn't my strong suit but I would like to get better at it.  The place was packed and event well attended.  I see four of us NYC Urban Sketchers present there.  Here's a couple pages of my work.  Sketches done in ink and water-soluble graphite (that chunky one in the goodie bag from the 8th USK Symposium in Chicago). 



4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Mel. Exhilarating day and fun to sit side by side. Now if the model could only have held those short poses for 15 minutes... (heh heh heh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawne. Indeed! Fun and exhilarating. Exhaustingly satisfying. Those fantastic last minute poses, in longer time, would have been nice, right?

      Delete
  2. The Sketchy events are so much fun. I'm sorry I missed this one since the ad looked so enticing, but I was at robotics with Suzala. You did some great sketches with the graphite stick. I love that last one. You caught her pose really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joan, that enticing ad sold me in, I forget how crazy it is to sketch the 1, 2, 3, 15, 30 min poses! At least you had all the time to sketch your "models" at the robotics with Suzala. Definitely, I should explore more of this figure sketching.

      Delete