Tuesday, July 31, 2018

2018 USk Symposium: First Workshop

Two weeks ago, I was one of the 800 attendees from 46 different countries who flew in to the beautiful city of Porto, Portugal to attend the 9th Urban Sketchers International Symposium.  It ran for four days.  That was my second symposium after Chicago last year and this time I signed up for the two workshops pass instead of four.   

My first workshop was with Ian Fennelly.  There is something about his style that I want to learn.  Only to discover later that Ian's three step process is the exact opposite of how I work.  It goes like this:  Start your color canvas with big shapes first (no lines), mark the lines and add the grays for tone, fill in interesting details last.

Here is a scan of what I made during his 3 hour workshop.  I meant to come back to that same spot along with others and fill in more details but decided to leave it be.  A good reminder of what it was in time.  Hopefully, I'll be able to incorporate Ian's process in my future work.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks Mel. Like taking the workshop, only even better filtered through you! Karen De Mauro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The process is simple when you think about it but mastery of the process is a different story.

      Delete
  2. Mel this is great. I will try it. Maybe you can give us a short demo at our next meet-up Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. That is a very interesting idea.

      Delete
  3. I am putting him on my list of people I would actually like to take a full workshop with. His demo was so good! I like your sketch with the selective use of color in the COI.

    ReplyDelete