Sunday, June 10, 2018

Direct WC - Attempt #2

It was midday, the sun was high and very strong shadows fall beneath the tree and the car.  Marc Taro Holmes uses some dots of faint color to mark the outlines.  I tried it.  Not knowing what to do, I put a wash of light grey for the big shapes, starting with the shadows.  Then I went to town painting the green foliage.  The result wasn't what I had in mind.

Take two.  I flipped the sheet and started all over.  Mixed the burnt sienna and ultramarine blue to get a grey color.  Yellow and blue to get some green shade.  Still can't get the results I want.  And that means MORE practice!

The set-up.

The light grey indicators.

The confusing green mix

The first result.

The second attempt.



4 comments:

  1. Your second attempt came out good because of the values. Nice!!! Direct watercolor is not easy, especially when you work so much with lines. It is hard letting go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to let go...Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. The second one came out much better. You're on an upward trend. I'm struggling to learn how to use watercolors too ... but it's a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. I agree it's a fun challenge.

      Delete