Friday, June 29, 2018

The Ridgefield Town Hall

While only three traffic lights exists on the Main Street, last Tuesday's afternoon traffic was heavy.  In fact, a police officer was seen manually controlling the traffic signal lights to better regulate the flow of cars and pedestrians.  I found a nice park bench near the traffic control box diagonally across from the Ridgefield Town Hall where it offered a nice view of the intersection of Bailey and Main Streets.  

A big flag hangs in front of the Town Hall, the corners anchored, so it moves, but not flutter in the wind.  

"Are you sketching?  You should include the flag!" says a lady passing by.  Exactly what I had in mind.

I probably sketched there for more than an hour before calling it a day.  As I walked back toward my car, I ran into the friendly police officer who was manning the traffic signal controller.  His shift was done.  Since he saw me sketching the Town Hall earlier, I thought I'd show him what I had done.

"It's good!  Are you an artist?  Is this what you do for a living?"

After a short reply, we said goodbye and went our separate ways.


The BIG Flag at Ridgefield Town Hall.


Pencil sketch of the scene.



Bailey and Main Streets intersection.


2 comments:

  1. Love the sketch of the town with the flag. I'll have to look for flags like that. I always twist and turn so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! Flags are interesting to watch. James Gurney once did a post about it. https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2007/12/seven-flags-deconstructed.html. I'm sure there's no shortage of flags for you to draw and it will be a good one!

      Delete