Tuesday, June 12, 2018

NYC USK Outing last weekend

I was 30 minutes late getting to the Bennett Park.  Several others were already sketching the relic cannon.  A young boy wearing a red shirt, reading a book, provided a good contrast to the dull grey color of the cannon next to him.  Alas, our one hour time limit was up and it was time to proceed to the bottom of 181st Street.

The terrace offered a sweeping view of the Hudson River and the great George Washington Bridge.  Another hour to sketch here before heading down to the bottom of the bridge where the little Red Lighthouse is located.  That one hour came by so fast.  I needed more time for my pencil sketch of the bridge.  I stayed behind while the group made their way down to the bottom of the GWB.  I thought I'd catch up easily with them on my bike. 

They were already having lunch by the time I got there.  The view was fantastic!  Lots of activities going on the river and at the park.  It felt so diminutive looking up the suspension tower!  Somehow, I had forgotten about the Little Red Lighthouse.


The suspension bridge tower on the New York side.
I'm hoping to finish the lines and add colors on these pencil sketches one day.

The cannon and little boy in red shirt sketch.

The panoramic view from the bottom of 181st Street.




2 comments:

  1. It is a good location for sketching...and the bridge is so massively impressive. Nice sketches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massively impressive is right, Joan. We missed you there last weekend.
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete