Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Walking and sketching the dog

After listening to Danny Gregory's video session in Day 2 of the Sketchbook Revival Online Workshop, I got inspired.  Danny had mentioned his morning ritual of drawing the tea cup while waiting for the water to boil.  He also mentioned drawing his dog over and over and this was all the drawing entries he made in this one book.

That opened the idea of having a sketchbook on me whenever I walk Sage.  I started that yesterday and it was fun.  There's a quiet street not far from home where we let her loose from leash.  We trust her enough to stay by our side and for the most part she's really good at that.  I don't need to chase after her and I could try to sketch her.

Not knowing where to start, I looked at her head and focused on her ears.  I noticed the asymmetrical folds of her left and right ear flaps.  She did a lot sniffing so I couldn't get a good look of the ears.  I thought I got some good lines when I shifted my focus on her legs.  

I think it's a good exercise in observation.  The sketchbook will definitely become a part of our daily walk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment