Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Boatyard

A cloudy morning turned to a sunny afternoon yesterday.  I thought it would be good to sketch at the Grass Island Marina.  Deceptively sunny, it was still chilly windy and more so near the waterfront.  

I saw the service road scene I want to sketch right across from where I parked my car.  I setup my portable sketch easel at my choice spot.  The sun was behind my back, right over to my left shoulder.  The elongated shadows of winterized boats marked the service road.    

This time, I started with a pencil and lightly marked the lines, aiming for the right proportions, before adding the watercolor wash. I forgot, this one paper wasn’t meant for watercolor!  

How do you paint that white plastic cover on the boat?  That was the dilemma.  In the end, the Micron 005 was used to define the lines. It's the one thing I'm familiar with.   









2 comments:

  1. Super job! I applaud you for braving the chilly temps. Soon there will be the beginning of the unveiling at the boatyards. I'm always happy to see the coverings removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more about getting a dry run with my field sketch kit. Still too heavy. Have to go back there and resolve the white cover dilemma before they unwrap the boats! Thanks for looking.

      Delete