Friday, April 27, 2018

Bland Sketch

It was a little past five o'clock yesterday afternoon when I pulled in and parked my car along Washington Mews parking spaces in Port Chester, NY.  I thought this scene would be a good one. 


Lately, I've been focusing on getting the correct proportions in my sketches so there is a lot pencil sighting measurements here and there.  One of Bert Dodson's important tip is to find the midpoint, making sure that the top half of the scene/image will fit 50% of your canvas and the bottom half will fit as well.  It works for vertical or horizontal orientation.  This way, you don't run out of canvas space.

The lines were initially done in pencil and as I continued to play with other media (watercolor, color pencils, permanent ink and water soluble ink, Gelly Roll white, etc.) something is still amiss even though it is a finished product.  

It was the light and shadows!  I spent so much time looking at the proportions and details that I lost sight of the light and shadows.  Maybe the value shade study should have been done once I identified the big shapes.  Of course, that is another tricky thing to learn.




2 comments:

  1. Some scenes have just too much to think about. You did a great job on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning scene selection is a key element and I'm not good at simplifying things. Got to include everything in my mind. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete