Tuesday, April 10, 2018

My Left Hand

Last year in August, I started practicing how to write with my left hand.  My non-dominant hand.  I may have read a blog about ambidexterity so I took up the challenge.  The one thing I like about this exercise is the way it forces me to slow down and concentrate on the task at hand.  It is good to learn how to be comfortable no matter how difficult it is to make a straight line.  It helps to create the necessary muscle memory and brain wire connections.  

I drew a second version of the figure model last night.  Note that I had to shift the paper, moving it in all different directions, to where my non-dominant hand felt comfortable laying down the lines.




Using the Japanese #6 Round sable brush gift I received last year, I added some color using a mix of Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine and Quinacridone Rose.  

 Here are some practice notes from last summer.  The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.







6 comments:

  1. Your sketch came out good! My lines always look shaky. I do practice sketching left handed once in a while. It forces me to slow down and concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Joan. It helps that I can very lightly mark down the lines and trace over it more than once until it doesn't look shaky anymore. Thanks for looking.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mel you resently approved me on FB. I love your art. This one gave me an idea for a sketch. I have an old phone that I will give a try. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SuzetteS - thank you visiting and for the nice compliments.

      Delete
  3. Two years ago i had surgery on my dom. Hand. I spentthe summer drawing non dominant. I was amazed at how much hand and eye in concert was so much more important then which hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzala, it is amazing how the brain finds a pathway to make the hand-eye coordination work to your advantage. Thanks for looking.

      Delete