Friday, August 17, 2018

Trying something new

It has always been a dream to sketch the beautiful Grace Episcopal Church of Gothic style architecture at the corner of Church and Main Streets in White Plains, NY.  Last Sunday afternoon, on a hot and humid day, it became a reality, sort of.

I pulled into a just vacated Church street parking spot almost by the rear side door of the church.  Some light rain falling.   No way to sketch the front side of the church without me or my sketchbook getting wet so I stayed in my car.  Where I parked was perfect, showing the red side door, a little garden, and the beautiful iron gate posts.

It was a good subject for an Ian Fennelly inspired urban sketching.  After deciding on the composition and orientation of the sketch, I put in blobs of watercolor on paper, let it dry a bit, before adding the lines, the tones, and then the details.  I wasn't sure how it would look like.   Usually, what I have in mind doesn't translate well on paper.   Some three hours later, I got this sketch.  I think it came out alright.





No comments:

Post a Comment