Thursday, August 2, 2018

Third Week of July 2018: Part I

I spent the third week of July in the beautiful city of Porto, Portugal.  It is one of the Best Travel destinations in 2018.  The unparalleled charm of the old port city resonate with vibe of colorful architectural gems in dizzying disarray.  Inexplicable, yet dearly captivating.  I wouldn't mind getting lost in Porto.  Truly a sketcher's paradise, if you know what I mean.

My schedule went like this.  
Left NYC Sunday 7/15.  
Arrived OPO 7/16.  
Took a day trip north of Porto to Santiago de Compostela on 7/17.  Opening day of 9th USk Symposium 7/18.  
First workshop - Ian Fennelly 7/19.  
Second workshop - Liz Steel 7/20.  
Last sketch walk and Closing Ceremony 7/21. Bonus: I won a raffle prize at the Closing Ceremony!  
More sketching done on a single day in Porto 7/22.  
Depart Porto for Madrid 7/23.

Quite busy, you might say, right?
  
Here are several sketches for that week.


7/15 - Waiting at the JFK Airport for my flight to MAD.  Connecting flight MAD-OPO.


7/16 - Arrived at OPO.  Waiting at the platform for the next Metro Train to Trindade Station; Transfer to D Train.
Get off at Jardim Do Morro Station.

7/17 - Waiting for the 0730 hrs pick-up time in front of Carris Hotel for a day trip to Santiago de Compostela.




7/17 -  Viator: Santiago de Compostela day trip.  Driver and tourist guide Joao Mota along with a total of seven passengers in a Mercedes Transit Van.  Two hours and 15 minutes trip one way from Porto, Portugal.
Made a bonus stop at Valenca, Portugal on the way back home.

7/17 - Sketched the Iglesia de San Francisco for about 20 minutes while inside the Santiago de Compostela old town.



7/17 - A street scene that I didn't finish sketching.  Our included lunch was about to start when I was summoned to come in to the restaurant.  Excellent Galician dishes!
7/17 - Third house from the right has a little alley way leading to a bakery shop.  Purchased the best empanadas I've tasted in a long time.

7/18 - I was two hours early coming into the USk venue hub.  Ordered a quick "Menu do Dia" for lunch before sketching this scene inside the Flor da Alfandenga Restaurante.  Note all those colorful neckline badges hanging on the wall.  It must have been everything soccer related, I guess.  Maybe??? 


7/18 - The first sketch walk by the Ribeira,  looking at the iconic Ponte Dom Luis I Bridge.
See this video link I was there at 0:40 and 0:48-0:55 minute mark.
7/18 - Opening remarks by USk President, Amber Sausen.  Other welcoming speakers from Portugal.



7/19 - Skit Sketch Presentation.






2 comments:

  1. Your sketching reminds me of just how exhausting the days were. lol And every minute was great! Nice job on these especially the church and the sketch inside the van. You are giving me competition. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. In hindsight, it didn't seem exhausting that we did a lot there, but we did and certainly great that we did. No one can ever compete with you, Joan! LOL

    ReplyDelete