Friday, August 24, 2018

Ghost signs

I was driving along Main Street yesterday morning in Port Chester, NY when I noticed the flashing lights of a police car by a pedestrian walk path detour to my left.  Another building demolition.  There used to be an old building that stood there but has now been reduced to rubble.  The partially exposed wall of the adjacent building revealed some nostalgic painted advertisement signs of years gone by.

Wedding Cakes A Specialty
   Phone 549

Delicious Refreshing

Drink
Coca Cola

I had to make a sketch of that wall but not really sure how I would tackle it.  Even the thumbnail sketch here look so complicated.  Having looked closely at the photo, it struck me that people were asked to phone 549 - three digits only!  This must be an early 20th century billboard sign.  Blue, Green, and Red background.  I feel very nostalgic about it.




2 comments:

  1. You never know what is hiding between buildings. You captured it nicely! I like the B&W sketch of it...rather nostalgic almost like a B&W photo but nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joan. It does make me wonder how nostalgic it could be in B&W sketch. There's only one way to find out.

    ReplyDelete