Monday, August 20, 2018

Weekend Sketching at Governors Island

Last Saturday's urban sketching event was held at the Governors Island in New York.  The weather was very hot and humid!   I took the 10:00am free ferry from the Battery Maritime Building in Manhattan along with six other sketchers.

I found a breezy spot by the Liggett Arch and decided to sketch part of the archway looking up and part of the tree lined Colonels Row promenade. 


After lunch, I found a breathtaking view of lower Manhattan to sketch at the end of Clayton Road.  The Castle Williams to the right.  A seemingly distant gray cloud of rain shower eventually reached us sooner than I could complete my sketch.  Additional lines and color added later at home.  Not pleased with my paper choice here.  Even a light wash really buckles the paper.


2 comments:

  1. I really like the way you did the first one and how you let the buildings and landscape fade in the distance. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joan. I find the use of Tombow markers help in the line suggestion. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete